Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer

Author: Stephenie Meyer
Original title: The Chemist 
Pages: 522 
Edition Language: English 
Series: no 
Format: Paperback 
Genres: Thriller, Mystery  
Goodreads  

Blurb:     
An ex-agent of  U.S. government on the run from her former employers. An expert in her field, she was one of the darkest secrets of an agency so clandestine it doesn’t even have a name. And when they decided she was a liability, they came for her without warning. 

My thoughts:
      I only read 2 books by Stephenie Meyer: first two from Twilight saga around 5 years ago. I was not impressed and DNFed the whole series, as it was incredibly dull. Since that time, I constantly came across her other books in book community and heard a lot of controversial reviews. So, I decided to give the author one more chance with her adult novel The Chemist.
      The beginning of the story was quite promising: serious issues, a woman on the run, alone and forgotten by anybody except her employer, who wants to kill her. So far so good, up to the point of the beginning of romance line... oh, my... it was even worse than Bella and Edward! With the pretension to an adult novel the love interest was not even YA range. Every time when the action was in full swing, the reader was overthrown by "she looked at him and saw his smile and it made her knees weak" clichés. It was really bumpy read and at the end I was really tired and lost interest. I wanted to cry so many times to this love interest: For God sake, man! She has tortured you with exquisite cruelty, how there can be any feelings apart from rage and thirst for revenge. Pull yourself together, stop being spineless! Instead, he was "romantic" and incredibly stupid.
     As for the main heroine character, in the nutshell, it can be described as follows: I am a heartless professional torturer, loner and old spinster. I see this soft and kind man in the metro and after 2 sentences I fall for him. It hurts my heartless heart to cause him pain, but I am doing my job. Oh, he screams...I feel so bad about him, as I remember how he looked in metro so kind and smiley and not dangerous at all, and so on.  So, I finished the book just to see how bad it can be. Whatever captivating plot it might be the love story killed it all, it killed the book.

Rating:
    2/5 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment