Wednesday, February 14, 2018

The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro

Author: Kazuo Ishiguro 
Original title: The Buried Giant  
Edition Language: English  
Series: no
Genres: Fantasy  
Format: Audio book
Read by: David Horovitch  
Duration: 11h48m  
Goodreads  

Blurb:
    The Buried Giant begins as a couple set off across a troubled land of mist and rain in the hope of finding a son they have not seen in years. Sometimes savage, often intensely moving, Kazuo Ishiguro's first novel in nearly a decade is about lost memories, love, revenge, and war.

My thoughts:
      I went into this novel blind and has no expectations whatsoever. I truly enjoyed through the first half of the book. Neither slow pace nor plot put me off. I was listening to it during long, slow walks and had a fascinating feeling that a new Hobbit-like story is unfolding for me. A big influence was the narrator’s deep and melodious voice as well. 
     However, while the story unfolded my interest started to fade. It was not going anywhere; only the atmosphere in the book started to be more delusive, characters more frustrating and plot more tedious. When I fell asleep 3times during the chapter prior the great battle, it was obvious the interest was gone. As the result the ending was disappointing in spite of all the allusions, hits and “hidden” meaning it could contain.
Rating:  
    3/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment