Thursday, May 17, 2018

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by John Tiffany and Jack Thorne

Author: Jack Thorne
Original title: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two
Pages: 337
Edition Language: English
Series: Harry Potter #8
Format: Paperback
Genres: Fantasy, YA
Goodreads

Blurb:    
   Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage.   
         While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.
  

My thoughts: 
   I have heard only bad stuff about the book. Maybe it was because I had no expectations about this going in but I really loved this. The first thing is that this is a play, not a novel and therefore I don't believe it should be judged as a book. And if you are lacking experience in reading those, the book can be really dull and  pointless. I am not the biggest play lover, but I can imagine a lot of stuff in the absence of long descriptions and explanations. So the text was not dry and plain for me, I had a nice coming of age story in front of me with childhood favorites. Reading this script made me so badly want to see the play live.  
     I enjoyed the story, the new and old characters, the echoes of the past and just everything about this story.  I completely respect that people disliked this, the story is lacking a lot; it is not so much of the canonical Harry Potter and not overwhelming, so I can easily imagine how a Harry Potter fan be disappointed with the book.
Rating:
        4/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment